Sun setting In Cuzco, Peru

November 21, 2010

Solo under the Mistletoe

The holidays are creeping up on me and once again, I'm not ready.  I dread them, actually, because Hallmark makes cards for family, dogs, secretaries, retired people, "like a mom" but there's none for the single people of the world who endure endless commercials of "what will you give your loved one this Christmas?"

Normally, this time of year gets me down.  But this year, I am ready for it.  I've heard time and again about not judging books by their covers and that is what I am choosing to do.  For example, the woman in the commercials looks happy but does she really like that present that he got her?  Or will she go Drama Queen on him the minute the cameras stop rolling?  And he smiles at the sweater she got him but on the inside, I bet he's cringing at the thought of wearing orange stripes or pink polka dots. Or even the happy families you see walking in the streets could have screaming matches behind closed doors. 

Not everything is as it seems.  It may sound like I am going to relish in the agony of others but that is not the case.  This holiday season, I am going to count my blessings for my life because there are worse things than being single: being in an abusive relationship, being in a loveless relationship, being in Iraq, being homeless/jobless/friendless/hopeless/Saviorless. 

As I go through the process of replacing my windows, I am struck by how warm it is inside.  When I drive my car is a snowstorm, I am thankful for new tires and windshield wipers.  When I look in my closet, I am surprised at the number of shoes I have.  When Missy wanders the halls at night and I hear the tapping of nails on the wood floor, I am grateful she continues to stand guard over me.  When I open my cupboards, I am reminded of all of the packages of Oreos that I bought when they were on sale that I will use to bake treats for the friends I'm blessed to have.  When I look at my gym bag, I am thinking about my next sweat-fest and remembering the jeans I'm trying to get back into.  When I think of my best friend, I am thankful for good memories and even more thankful that she is in Heaven hanging out with Jesus.  When I look in the mirror, I can see a striking resemblance between my face and my heavenly Father's.

There are so many things to be thankful this year that the thought of being single pales in comparison. Besides, there is a time and place for everything with God and my time will come.  And right now, that's good enough for me.

Happy Holidays!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post and I needed to read it. Thanks brilliant friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are amazing susie!
    i love you & your blog!
    ps. you can spend the holiday's with me & my CRAZY family or we could just skip it & go for pedicures instead. :) xo.

    ReplyDelete