Sun setting In Cuzco, Peru

August 17, 2010

Day one - An Introduction

The idea to blog came from my two good friends, Autumn and Katie.  I love reading what they write because its so honest and beautiful.  That got me to thinking that blogging is just another form of journaling. Even though I'm a horrible journalist, I thought I'd give this a shot.  Being transparent doesn't come easily for me but I will at least try.
First, about the title.  I actually considered something else - The Misadventures of Living Single - but thought that sounded kinda pathetic. And I haven't had that many misadventures to keep this interesting, so  I decided on Growing a Grown Up because that seems to be the process I'm in right now.  I am a 42 year old female who recently reached puberty.  Obviously, I'm being facetious but not really.  I think I've reached puberty emotionally as all I seem to do lately is cry or listen to my heart break.  There are reasons for that.  I've been in a healing process the past few years, allowing God to work in my life and letting His will be done over mine.  That has lead to a flood of emotions that have needed to work themselves out, ones that I have held back for far too many years.  I was raised to believe that nothing was worth crying over.  If I fell down and got hurt, if my boyfriend dumped me, if I was scared or whatever, it didn't matter, I shouldn't cry.  Fast forward 30 years and I'm finally learning its ok to cry.  Its natural.  Its normal.  Its healthy.  Its strange feeling my heart break as a result of this process.  I know I've never experienced it before.  And while I hope to never experience it again, I know its part of growing up.     

So, here I am.  An emotionally stunted single female trying to make sense of this world.  Fun, right?

I work full time.  I like my job a lot and work with some good people.  I like the outdoors although lately all I seem to do is hibernate.  I don't have any kids so I am a foster parent.  What's nice about that is that each kid I get stays for a little while them gets placed in permanent care or returned to parent/s.  The down side of it is the same.  I've had some kids that I really wanted to keep and others that I counted down the minutes until they left.  It gives me my kid fix for a time, anyhow.  I have a flower and vegetable garden.  I like gardening, especially on nice days but not too hot.  Summers around here can be amazing, rainy or hot.  I like amazing because its a nice mixture of hot and cool as opposed to hot all day and night.    

I have a dog, Missy.  She is my constant companion.  We've been together for 9 years 'tho she was already 6 years old when she came to me.  She is an old girl at 15.  I'm blessed that she is very healthy minus this annoying breathing issue of hers.  She can't help it but most days its hard to deal with, especially at night on hot days.  There's a flap of some sort in her throat that  is failing so when she breathes, she has to force air thru.  Basically, she is a walking obscene phone caller.  There is a vet in Seattle who can operate on her but it will cost $2500.00 which I don't have.  The reason I don't have it because the past 9 months has been about buying big ticket items, namely a furnace and a roof. 

I'm craving a nap so I will end my very first blog here.  Welcome to the random rantings of this slightly goofy but optimistic woman!

1 comment:

  1. Cool beans! Welcome to the world of blogging... you're off to a great start! :-)

    ReplyDelete