Sun setting In Cuzco, Peru

October 4, 2010

All You Need is ...

Love is all you need.

The Beatles were spot on with this song.  It doesn't matter if its the love of family, friends or a significant other, love is like oxygen - we need it to live.

Over the past few days, I've come to realize how important love is as I spend time with people I have know for many years.  Friends.  My time with them has been precious.  We've laughed, shared, reminisced, exposed our flaws and I even cried once.  The one thing that was consistent with each friend were the words "I Love You".  When our time together had ended, we would hug and say those words to each other.  Genuine and sincere, thankful for the few hours we were given.

While I have always been hesitant to use those term, I now know that there is NO better time to let my friends know that I am honored and blessed to have them in my life.  Friendship is a gift freely given.  It cost nothing yet is priceless.  I am rich beyond measure to have so many wonderful people in my life.

I came to CA last week dreading my visit because it is the first time I have come here and not seen Maureen.  Thankfully, being with classmates, old bosses and life long friends has done so much to restore me.  The void that her passing left in my heart will likely never be completely filled but I take comfort in knowing there are so many others who care and love me just as much as she did.  She can never be replaced in my heart but she doesn't have to be.  My heart is growing to allow others into that space that she once occupied.   And that is a very good thing.

To all of my friends, old and new, here and there, I love you and I thank God for you.  Your presence in my life fills me.  My cup runneth over.

No comments:

Post a Comment