Sun setting In Cuzco, Peru

October 14, 2010

Knights vs Cowboys

As I stood in line at the airport today, I was struck by the number of men who pushed their way in front of me to get ahead.  We all eventually got on the plane but not one of them offered to let me go first.  Maybe I'm old fashioned but I was surprised as the lack of chivalry.  Is it dead?

This is a question that has been asked for many years by women who hope the answer is "No".  In fact, I know it still exists.  While I was at my grade school reunion last weekend, one of my classmates and long time friend, Matt, showed me this by opening my doors, letting me go ahead of him into a room, etc.  His wife is a lucky lady.  I just hope she knows how lucky.

Paula Cole asks, "Where have all the cowboys gone?"  I'm not looking for that Knight in Shining Armor who rides up with his Happily Ever After.  I am not a damsel in distress in need of being rescued.  I don't need to ride off into the sunset.  That is all make believe, created by an industry that thrives on fantasy.  Its not real.  

The way I see it, men are confused.  And who could blame them?  Back in the 60s and 70s, the women's revolution demanded equal treatment from men.  I'm sure there was a purpose for "women's lib" but have we, as a whole, taken it too far?  Men are constantly assaulted by mixed messages.  We want them to be soft.  We don't need them to protect us.  We don't need them to provide for us.  We don't need them to have children.  Even TV portrays men as buffoons who, without their smarter counterparts, would fail at even getting out of bed.  They can't live without women.  They can't think without women.  They can't function without women.  What have we done???

The truth is, God created each gender for a specific reason, primarily to be a reflection of His duality.  In other words, man was created to be an example of the protector and provider that God is.  Woman is the gentle, more loving side of Him.  A union of the two, in healthy balance, should replicate our Creator.  People, being sinful and selfish, have lost sight of this and really muddied the waters.  If you look around, you will likely see a generation or two of really confused people.  Women who want to dress like, act like, be like men and men who desire to emulate women.  I'm frightened to think of what our future holds if we continue on this path.  Will we become a nation of hermaphrodites?  Will the M or F check boxes be replaced by the generic A = androgyny. 

I pray for the day when we return to our original roles but its a fight we have to be willing to make.  I, for one, don't want to live in a world where men aren't allowed to be men and vice versa.  It took me too long to get comfortable with who God created me to be.  Now that I'm here, I plan to stay.  

No comments:

Post a Comment